A visit to Save Our Seabirds to see owls that likely live in our neighborhood

 Florida Great Horned Owl. This owl's wing hangs a bit. "It was kicked out of its nest by its parents who apparently sensed it was unable to sustain itself in the wild, a common event in the bird world (Save Our Seabirds)." 

I visited Save Our Seabirds on the south end of Longboat Key on the grounds of Mote Marine to see what birds they're rehabilitating and to study the owls and hawks. I am learning how to identify them by sight and call. I took all of these photographs.


I was surprised to see that they had six Great Horned Owls. I'll be listening for their "who hoo" calls at night—they certainly must be residing in our neighborhood.

Florida Great Horned Owl

Its tufts (also called plumicorns) are down which might mean it's not uptight with my presence. This bird was wide awake while 4 others in the large aviary space slept. They mate for life, have talons that extend 4 - 8 inches and incredible digestive systems (pellet out what's not digestible), oh, and the bird books say this owl is one of the few animals that think skunks are yummy.

Barred Owl
































Barn Owl











I remember visiting my sister (over 20 years ago) who lived near the Manatee river off 26th Street. When I walked up to her door, a Barn owl owlet was on her doorstep. A nest was in a nearby yard. The owlet on her doorstep was learning to fly and resting there.