Western Willet, Terns, Sanderlings, Brown Pelicans at the beach



Western Willet

Anna Maria Island beach is quiet, the waves calm (9/8/19). The drive was 8 minutes from Wildewood this traffic-less, early morning.

Here are a few birds I saw.

This Western Willet preened.



Then settled onto the sand for a nap.



While it slept, Sanderlings ran to the water's edge and back, so fast that I was surprised to see I caught a moment of that flash of energy.



Oops, there Sanderling goes!



I looked up and caught these two Brown Pelicans in the early morning light.



Then, a Sandwich Tern (notice the "mustard" or yellow color on its beak?) and a Royal Tern. If you are having a thought that I might be good at identifying these terns, maybe let that go. I asked knowledgeable people in a birding group. They are the ones who know this species from that species with pretty good accuracy.



Here is another photograph of the Royal Tern.


Most of us just stood and watched the waves roll in and out.