Blue-winged teal ducks




My partner called, "Look in the pond. I think there are two young ducks." I grabbed my camera to use its telephoto lens to see and take a few photos. I looked in my bird book and confirmed with birding friends Blue-winged teal ducks, an adult male and female.

The Cornell Lab of Orthinology website says that teals are often found dabbling with other dabblers. (So, what's a dabbler?) Like this Mallard taking a bath.



And not to miss out, this Muscovy duck waddled out of the pond and almost stood on my toe as if asking to see the photo! 


Why hello.



More likely, this duck is fed by neighbors. Please don't feed the birds, professionals ask of us. There is plenty of food for birds to forage. 

A reason I contain my urge to feed Florida birds is a little knowledge about the varying birds' digestive systems. Just like us, eating the wrong food hurts their bodies. 

(Here are other reasons not to feed ducks.) Okay, I'm in. No feeding.

The biggest reason I'll refrain: feeding endangers migrating birds from leaving when it's time. One time lost and birds don't migrate again according to David Sadkin, Ph.D, director of education at Wildlife, Inc. 

If you live in WWIIA, our regulations book includes a "no feeding wildlife rule,"  inspired by Florida Department of Wildlife guidance.

March 21, 2018