Bird feast post #3 - American White Pelicans!


Neighbors Faith and John sent emails saying that the American White Pelicans were on the pond. I hurried over to see them. I watched three in one area hold their wings up while paddling in twirls around each other. And then, eyes closed. 


At first, I thought that one bird floated on top of another (not mating—this is not the time or place for that because White Pelicans mate in specific northern locations). Is it play? Researchers site no evidence that White Pelicans play. Do my eyes see two instead of one bird? Birding group thinks there are 2 birds here. I have a subscription with Cornell birds to read articles of research, and wrote to ask for an opinion.


I walked around to the eastern side of the pond. Whoosh, an Eagle landed in this nearby Slash Pine tree.


Then it bends down. Oh, that is the focus of attention. Its "baby" - well, not quite a baby, a juvenile.



Notice the power of the claw. Hey, is that a fish scale?


These Boat-Tailed Grackles on the ground (male on left; a female brownish in coloring on the right) and in the trees with the juvenile Eagle above seemed to just be hanging out. 


I continued to walk in the way birder and author Jon Young teaches: walk like a fox. It takes practice.
"Walk in the weight last style...light on your feet like foxes...so instead of swinging and stomping, raise one foot off the ground and let it hang their comfortably. Then slowly lower the foot to the ground, wherever it naturally falls. Don't lean forward. When the foot touches down, the other leg is still bearing all your weight. After the first foot is on the ground, shift your weight, still without leaning forward. Keep your head up."
That slow walking helps me open my gaze, sort of like an owl. (I wish.) Just sort of. I noticed the baby blue bill of a Lesser Scaup. The dark headed bird is male, the others are female Lesser Scaups.



A Great Egret, Little Blue Heron, and Snowy Egret.


I saw an American Coot. Notice the red eye and the white shield that is topped with what looks to me like an upside down, heart-shaped red mark. They were not a bit interested in the fish feast. They (and the Gallinules) eat aquatic plants.




The Common Gallinule looks like an American Coot, only they have a bright red shield on their forehead. (The Coot's is white.)


(Mostly) Cormorants on the pond edge.


 And look, flying lessons. Well, you know. This juvenile Anhinga drying its wings certainly made me think about how much I'd like to fly.



And, Great Egret.


Sometimes I think the Great Egret strikes a pose.


I notice the Hooded Merganser. Such a cutie pie. Only one, and I'm not sure if it's a female or male. I'll check in the spring when the eyes will have white circle markings indicating a female.


And, for a comparison‚ here is a Red-breasted Merganser I photographed taking a bath in the Gulf waves off Anna Maria Island.



I end with one of my favorite birds—the vulture. These are black vultures. They clean up our roads and here in Wildewood, helped clean the pond edge of dead fish. 


I enjoy watching them soar playfully in the wind.