An early morning Glossy Ibis gathering (and BB Whistling Duck Family update)

Glossy Ibis

I continue to visit the pond to check on the Black-Bellied Whistling Duck Family. Today, new friend Faith from Springlakes and I checked the pond at noon, later than I usually walk. We didn't see them. However, yesterday is a different story.


I found a group of birds hanging out!


I noticed Glossy Ibis, mostly juveniles. Oh, and one Common Gallinule (notice the bird with red on its bill in the above photograph).




Mallard  


Mottled Duck.


When the Whistling family paddled up, they "asked" that the other ducks leave. 


They did. All clear for the chicks to come ashore. 


And then mama stood with this cuddle of chicks who fell fast asleep.



Then this. They woke and stood in a strike-a-pose moment, looking in one direction. Snap. What a great photo. 


Energized, they ran in my direction. Even with my long range lens, it felt like the family was heading over to say hello.



But no. They were heading to jump in the pond.