Black-Bellied Whistling Duck family in the neighborhood



I decided to carry my camera on a walk this morning. I'm glad I did. At first glance, I thought the bird was a Lesser Scaup. I even chatted with neighbor Pat about it on my way home. But no. This is a  Black-Bellied Whistling Duck.

I first noticed them in the pond and wondered, is that a family? 


Before coming ashore, they bathed.




With a better look, I narrowed it down to a pair of Black-Bellied Whistling Ducks with chicks or with Frivolous Whistling Ducks. So I asked the talented birders in a bird ID group.


They are a Black-Bellied Whistling Duck family!

Those beautiful blue bills made me think, 'Could they be Frivolous Whistling Ducks' hanging out with that Black-Black Bellied pair?. But no, they are chicks.


Another clue was the pair stood, eyes open, while the chicks slept. The chicks plopped on the ground and they were out!


The pair seemed to be chatting while the chicks slept.


Here are some facts about this bird from the Audubon website.

And, if you want to listen to their call, it really does sound like a whistle. Listen here on All About Birds
A soft, high whistle with a long first note and several following notes. They give this call in flight, while standing, or while swimming. They also make a chit-chit-chit in flight or a yip when taking flight.
Though they are called ducks, they "more resemble geese and swans." 
The whistling-ducks were formerly known as tree-ducks, but only a few, such as the Black-bellied Whistling-Duck actually perch or nest in trees. They look most like ducks, but their lack of sexual dimorphism, relatively long-term pair bonds, and lack of complex pair-forming behavior more resembles geese and swans. (More HERE.)

Posted 10/4/18