Spoonbill Roseate in the rain


I looked out the window (September 25, 2018) and noticed Spoonbill Roseate with a male Wood Duck. A new pal? I often see Spoonbill with Great Egret and Wood Stork, so this pairing makes another friend.


Why hello new friend.


I grabbed my camera and stood on the pond edge to watch the colorfully magical kingdom of Wildewood. 

It started to rain. Wood duck plopped in the water to follow these two. 



Spoonbill began what looks to me like exercising before feeding, however, if I ask my birder friends, they'd say that spoonbill behavior is mostly unknown and yet to be described. 

Cornell Lab professionals say this:
Like all other spoonbills, the Roseate Spoonbill frequents shallow aquatic habitats and feeds by tactolocation: While walking, it swings its head and the slightly open “spoon” of its bill in the water from side to side in a semicircular motion. The bill snaps shut when it contacts prey, mainly fish and aquatic invertebrates. It is gregarious while feeding, nesting, and roosting. The full behavioral repertoire of the Roseate has yet to be described.



The rain picked up and to my surprise Spoonbill stayed. So I stayed, too. 

Ten, then more than twenty minutes. I stood still with my lens focused. How do I know how long? Well, I had yummy Granola baking in the oven and when I came in it was burned. (That's okay. Nothing tastes as good as it feels to be in sweet stillness outdoors.)


It rained harder. We both got drenched.


Then, bird took flight. 

I tried to follow. No lift off. 

(I continue to suck at motion photography, but perhaps you get the idea.)


A little later bird became the sky and the pond. 

Was it a kindness in response to my longing to fly? I think so.



PS. Did you notice that this Spoonbill is banded? THIS is where you report a banded bird.