Great Crested Flycatcher and an Eastern Phoebe. Both in the same bird family.

Great Crested Flycatcher

Today's treat (3/6/19). 

I heard them. A pair. I didn't recognize its call. So, I did what birders teach. Sit still and wait. It's not that the birds don't see us, they need time to get used to our presence. I slowly aimed my camera toward the sound I heard at the top of the tree canopy and right away noticed that lemon-yellow breast. Oh my. 

What a beautiful bird!

The Great Crested Flycatcher landed in a tree that had not burst its spring leaves. Because of that, I have this photo to show you. This photo is number 80—80 different bird species in Wildewood Springs. 

Birders say that when a new bird is seen for the first time, it's a lifer. Today's sighting was a first.

The Flycatcher family is described as small-to-medium sized migrant songbirds that perch in an upright posture. They race after flying insects, a large variety of beetles, crickets, katydids, caterpillars, moths, and butterflies. They are monogamous. The Great Crested Flycatcher is vulnerable to habitat loss.

I saw an Eastern Phoebe earlier this week, a bird that is also classified as a flycatcher. So the Great Crested and Eastern Phoebe are in the same family.




Here is the Great Crested Flycatcher looking in the direction of its partner (probably).