Cormorant, sickened by Red Tide (probably). Wildlife, Inc. helps again.


Betsy was outside and noticed a bird swoop in, low, and land in the front gardens. Walter texted that a bird was at Mindy's door and could be injured. 

Wildewood Springs residents know what to do when we see injured wildlife: call Ed Straight at Wildlife, Inc. 

Ed answered on the second ring. 

I told him that a Cormorant looked dazed, moving its head in a wobbly way, and might have been injured as it landed. He said that he's had hundreds of calls about Cormorants acting this way. "They're affected by the Red Tide. They eat the sickened, toxic fish, and then also become sick. As you know, Florida has experienced one of the most severe Red Tide outbreaks recorded. So many animals have died. I am heartbroken about the effects. So many sick and dead fish, birds, manatees, porpoises, even a Whale Shark was suspected of dying of Red Tide.

Ed said that he'd call Lisa, one of their rescuers, saying she'd arrive in about 20 minutes. "If the bird recovers and flies off, call and let me know." I agreed.

I stayed outside, keeping a distance so as not to stress the bird. 

Cormorant stayed under Mindy's chair in her courtyard. 


But just for a few minutes.

Bird walked out of the garden as if you or I might do after having a tea with a neighbor. And then, it jumped to the roof of my car. I thought perhaps sweet bird was feeling better and would fly to the pond in the backyard and I could call Ed back with this good news.


Instead of flying off, Cormorant hopped to the sidewalk.


 And then walked straight up to Betty's front door. Bird sure knows where to find a good neighbor.


Cormorant turned around and began wiggly walking and, I kid you not, visited another neighbor nearby whose name happens to also be Betty. 

Betty wasn't home, though earlier had noticed Cormorant on the car roof with a quiet, pointing gesture of "oh wow." I couldn't wait to text her this photograph of the visit while she was gone.


Five minutes later, Cormorant walked out of her courtyard and then up the stairs, settling on a step. (A bit earlier, I noticed that Bob left in his car and did not see such a lovely creature napping on his stairway.) Neighbor Barbara noticed and hoped that everything worked out for the bird. 

  
Lisa arrived. 

She asked me to hold a clean fleece blanket patterned with puppies wearing Santa caps. Perfectly soft. And why not the love and hope of Santa. She picked up the bird and checked its wings (no injuries). 

She asked me to place the blanket in the cage and she placed the bird gently on top of it.





Lisa drove the Cormorant to Wildlife, Inc. on Holmes Beach to be checked by their staff, get rest, and fresh fish. Lisa said that revived birds are released. 

I'll let you know how Cormorant is doing.

I gratefully made a donation, and tell you this because Wildlife, Inc. is a nonprofit doing great rescue work in collaboration with Mote. As often as possible, I tell others about this wonderful organization. Red Tide brings a demand for services. Donations in any amount are appreciated and tax deductible. It's so easy. Just go HERE and click on the donate button.