Spending time in nature is good medicine for us

Anhinga is on the pond edge bathing, dipping, and shaking. What delight to photograph when the light is like this!


I took Anhinga's portrait just after it caught and devoured this fish. Notice how different the light is in this portrait? 


During this stay-at-home and care-for-self-and-others time, wise people suggest spending time in nature, relaxing as much as possible, letting go, thinking of others, and going with the flow as ways to practice resilience. 

The birds show me how.

Early this morning (May 14, 2020) I watched a pair of Green Heron fledglings enjoy climbing around these branches. 


No trouble hanging on when the wind gusted.


I've watched an adult Green Heron continue to gather twigs, perhaps building up the sides of its nest similar to the Yellow Crowned Night Herons. I believe there are several nests close to each other.



Brown Thrasher reminds me to slow down when I eat, even think about what I'm eating as a way to appreciate food and that I have enough to eat when so many others do not. 


Crows are a favorite bird. Maybe I'm influenced by Bernd Heinrich's books, especially, The Mind of a Raven. Raven and crow, jays, rooks, magpies, jackdaws, chows, and treepies are oscine passerines, known as corvids. Talk about smart birds. 


Which reminds me, are you interested in which bird you are? Well, you know. Cornell Lab Group created this fun "test." HERE. 

Sometimes birds appear unfamiliar because of perspective. Like this Carolina Wren. I had to check this photograph with a birding group because I think of a wren with its tail up. 


This discovery took my breath. A chick flattened to paper width on the street. After a big sigh and long pause: I want to recognize the plights of others with heart. 


The Yellow Crowned Night Heron chicks are lively in their nests. Some are branching, some have just hatched. Looking up, I notice a variety of movements and transfer this to my life: move, get exercise.


I checked the Pileated Woodpecker nest. Saw the adult climb in and then it was all tail feathers. Perhaps he was feeding chicks? 



Something wonderful about this time despite distancing: we find ways to connect with others. It is such a delight when birders share from their lens. Marc Holtsberg sent these photographs of recent sightings: Spoonbill Roseate, Red-shouldered Hawk, and Great Blue Heron.




Tom Higbee sent this trio of Wood Storks. I wonder how he got them to strike that pose on that tri-branched Norfolk Pine tree.


Steve reports a female Wood Duck nesting in Box #1 in Woodlawn. The male partner sits on a nearby branch most of the day waiting. I see patience. Like us facing and going with our days to greet whatever arises. 


Steve also reports a Carolina Wren pair nesting nearby. Oh, such wonders. That's the biggest suggestion I take from being with wildlife: begin with awe.