Everything we have and enjoy has been given by others



Coral Bean, butterfly garden, Pineneedle

Such celebration! 

Walter texted that a Great Blue Heron was in the butterfly garden. Betsy and Jim, enthralled, watched an Eagle soar over the big pond. Betty delighted in a Little Blue Heron. Diane K.'s granddaughter has fallen in love with a pair of Muscovy ducks.

A Ruby-throated Hummingbird visited this Coral Bean plant (red tubular flower) in the butterfly garden. Every day for 4 days. After the 4th sighting, I began to think about all the gifts we have living here.

This extraordinary COVID time forces me to see that my life, the water I drink, the air I breathe, the food I prepare and eat, the birds and wildlife in this Audubon habitat we share —well, it's a gift from others, just like the mature oak and pine groves in the neighborhood, the ongoing upkeep of our buildings, neighbors helping neighbors, or volunteerism to maintain our homes.

Sometimes neighbors send gifts. Like this sweet poem from Faith Buell. 

I looked out my window

And what did I see?
A pileated woodpecker
In my maple tree!

Definitely made my day!
A he or a she?
I cannot say.


Marc Holtsberg sent these stunning photographs he took of Ospreys in the neighborhood.



Marc also shared his photograph of one of the occupied Springlakes Wood Duck boxes. These boxes have provided seasons of broods.


I visited the Pileated nest. This female is probably incubating eggs. Staying put. I understand her.


The male Pileated (with red cheek stripe) flew in soon after I arrived and climbed into their excavated place and peeked out. (See the difference, Faith?)


A pair of Downy Woodpeckers are nesting on Wildewood Drive. She peeks out.


A male Downy visited her.


Perhaps the male brought her something like this male Cardinal who carried whatever it is in his beak to his female partner.



Woodlawn Village has two new Wood Duck nesting boxes. 

One is dedicated to Geralee's dear friend, Betty (Steve and Dave's mom, Geralee, is the one who long ago hung a Staghorn fern on the live oak tree behind her unit.

Steve who built the nesting boxes said that within 5 minutes, birds noticed. One nest is already active (has eggs).


Even the Red-bellied Woodpeckers checked out the nesting box.


Late this evening, I checked the big pond for the 8 ducklings. I only saw 3. Sigh.



On the way home, I saw a Swallow-tail Kite above. I'm not so good at photographing birds in flight, but maybe you get the idea. 


I returned home to find Spoonbill Roseate resting outside our window. 


This is the bird with an injured leg. You've probably seen it hanging out with Great and Snowy Egrets. I photographed it last week with an adult Spoonbill. What joy and inspiration watching this bird adapt.