Pet guidelines - one dog or one cat allowed per unit

I’m a cat lover. This is a photograph of Nesta, my kittycat (1993-2014). 

Since our neighborhood is a certified Audubon Wildlife habitat, I’m grateful that the association has rules to help us protect the Wildewood Springs environment and our pets.
“One dog (not weighing more than 25 pounds when fully grown) or one cat is allowed per unit. All pets must be leashed at all times when outdoors on Association property. Cats, in particular, are not allowed to roam the grounds, day or night.” (Rules and Regulations, p. 11, VI.)
This rule follows national guidelines not only for wildlife areas where it is especially important but also for all cat lovers. Keeping cats indoors is better for cats, better for birds, and better for people (American Bird Conservancy).

I admit that for years I let my cat outdoors (not while living in Wildewood). It wasn't until I began to work with neighbors to restore a neighborhood ravine park habitat in Columbus, Ohio that I became aware of the dangers to my sweet cat, and to birds. 

I was shocked to learn that cats kill about 3.7B birds a year. I began keeping her inside.