A Laughing Gull laughing. No kidding.


One of my favorite photographs is this Laughing Gull. I caught the laugh while photographing gulls on Anna Maria Island in 2018, a beach located about ten minutes from Wildewood.

When I first saw it, I wasn't sure. I wondered if it was a juvenile gull of some type. 

So I submitted it to a Facebook birding group (What's this bird?). 

I verify with them the birds I post here. They maintain their rules of no comments other than identity asking only for the date and place (city/state/country) of the sighting. So I was surprised when one of the seasoned experts (Geoff) responded, "1 Laughing Gull. AH AH AH." He added, "I hope my Sesame Street reference is coming through. I was so intent on the ID that the idea of a laughing gull laughing passed me by! That is until Geoff responded.

Birding is so much fun.