Yellow Crowned Night Heron Nesting Part 3

April 3, 2019

Love begets love.

Believe it or not, on a tree limb above the Yellow Crowned Night Heron pair from recent posts, there is a new couple!

Their nest building is a struggle, like in this photo where he is trying to get that big twig around a vertical branch. Just the feat of flying that twig to her. But now to weave it into the beginning of a nest. Tirelessly, he yanks and yanks. 

Then a break from the work.

And that's when I took this photograph to show his head resting against her body.



April 7, 2019

So the second YCNH couple is super busy.




It takes 10 days to build a nest. I trained in weaving so I can say from experience that completing this type of project in that time is astonishing. The cycle I observe is this:

He flies off to a nearby tree.

He lands and begins searching for the right twig. 

In an act of fancy footwork and winging it, he pulls it free. (He sorta scares me when he does this. He sometimes trips.)

With twig in beak, he flies and lands on a large limb above the nest, then hop-flies over to the nest passing the twig to her almost in flight. A lot of skill.

She is very aware of where he is because I have not seen a dropped twig yet.
She places and begins to weave the twig into the nest.
He watches and does not interfere with her placement choice.
He stays close to her as she weaves and once, sometimes twice, he gently beak pokes her body. The impression I get is that it’s encouragement, like “great weaving, sweetie.”
And then, in a gesture that to me appears a bit flamboyant, because his vigor seems to surprise or intrigue her, he steps up, gives a squawk and takes flight again. And that’s when I took this photograph.

April 8, 2019

This is the second pair of Yellow Crowned Night Herons. I can hardly believe the beauty I see.
The nest that will further their species is reflected on his body in flight. I'm using great imagination, but maybe you see it, too. And sense what I do - tireless diligence. Oh, please let me integrate their stunningly beautiful lesson.

April 12, 2019
At dawn, I see him there with her. At first glance, I think he is feeding her. 
Yellow Crown Night Herons eat fiddler and other crabs, which make up 94% of their diet. 
Squinching my eyes, I see a twig in his mouth! What, I wonder? I watch for another hour as he flies off to find, bring, and pass a twig for her to place. I watch as she heightens the periphery of the nest!
Think playpen. Safety. Is this an inherent wisdom?
In the coming weeks when I show you their chicks, you might ask if any went over the edge. Because of what I’m witnessing, I’d say there is a fair chance I will reply, “No one fell.”

April 12, 2019
Mama night-heron has her own routine while he twig-fetches. 
She preens her downy underbelly. In a half squat, half incubation stance, she combs the feathers that warmly snuggle the eggs, and then bends over, repeatedly, appearing to tend the eggs with her beak. That’s when I took this photograph. I can feel her softness through the camera lens.

April 13, 2019
In waves of commitment, he brings twigs. For fortification, safety, and from my reading, as a ritual to forge the pairs’ relationship.
Both parents incubate, though I mostly identify mama on the nest. Papa heron is a blur of activity. 

Mama rises to help, taking a twig he flies in. 




Then she settles her seat. Placing one foot on either side of the eggs, she lowers herself, fidgeting until settled. Researchers say that parental investment is very high in this species. I add my vote to that.
By my count, they are days (hours?) away from fluffy bundles of exuberance.

April 14, 2019
I have news! I look up at the nest and cannot see a night-heron. I know she is there, I just can’t see her. THAT is a mighty lesson. Sort of like the sun is there though clouds obscure it. I apply this personally. Even in personal difficulty, say agitation or any upset, I remember calm and unchanging content is within me. Always. It's just that I’ve forgotten or don’t recognize it.
So, I decided to investigate the ground under the nest. Guess what? A shell. A baby (chick) hatched!
I carefully pick up the shell to bring home, photograph and show you. This is how I found the egg.
Before leaving, I look up to see night-heron standing. It's HIM! (Notice the bright yellow crown color.) She might be off bathing or gathering fiddler crabs.
I can say from proof that YCNHs eat crab. Look here at the bits of crab remains I find under their nest. I also see small mounds of undigestible material.
Perhaps you wonder about the second nest. I glance up and see night-heron's body. I look, and look again. I see a heart shape. Do you? I think this is for Faith who is loving her sister through a medical challenge. It's for you, too, if you are here and wonder where your smile has gone. The night heron has it.