YCNH Part 8, widening our circles


Image: Night-heron chick fly-claws its way back up the approximate 30 feet to the nest. 
“The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small.” – Mother Teresa
I watch night-heron chick leave its safety zone circle to fly-hop down the tree to the ground. 

Chick looks around for a long while. 

It notices a vociferous Mocking Bird.



It looks under the nest for any fallen crab bits.


After 5 minutes, chick walks with deliberation. What caught its eye? The bright red Penta flowers that butterflies like?


No! A drink.


A sibling is curious about what's happening.


Another seems as intrigued from the coziness of their nest.


After the drink and a gaze at a nearby pond, the chick walks toward the tree with its nest. 


Chick looks up to mark the place it's going, probably just like any climber free-soloing.


I click click click as chick starts to move. I wonder how chick will get back up to the nest. 


In this peeking out photo, chick is about 10 feet off the ground. 



If I didn't see it, I wouldn't believe it. Chick uses a spider-man tactic—it walks up the tree with the help of flapping. 




It's super-powerish. 




That is chick walking between trees. 



There you have it. 

Chick is getting close to the nest. "Why hello, you're quite the hop-flyer," says sibling.


The exploring chick pauses and does this shake. Can it be an encouragement to the sibling? "Hey, go see the world, buddy!"




The nest. 


Time to rest.


Night-heron chick inspires me to enlarge my life, my view, and what I consider my family circle. That means being open and able to listen to others' ideas unlike mine and be with challenging situations beyond my comfort zone. I’ll need to adopt chick’s utter-awe, let's-learn-something attitude. Fearless exploration.

I’m reaching for the stars on this one. It’ll take practice and courage.