AMAZING neighbor champions Wildewood Springs and Springlakes


Her name is Maureen. 

And her friend is Louis. They are both passionate about caring for Wildewood Springs' Audubon-certified wildlife habitat. 

I had been looking forward to running into Maureen for weeks. On walks, various neighbors asked, "Do you know the woman who picks up trash?" I didn't and wanted to meet her. 

Last weekend was my chance. 

WOW. She is something special.

Maureen told me she's picked up trash every day in Wildewood Springs and Springlakes for the last year. She carries and fills bags as she walks and disposes of the litter in the dumpster (she lives in Lakeside Village). But, her walks grew longer and the bags heavier with litter. So she bought that nifty, collapsible wagon.

If you recently noticed that Wildewood Springs adjacent to 34th and 43rd Streets looks clean, it's because this was Maureen and Louis' route that day. That's right: 8.15 miles. 


Maureen picks up an average of 3 full bags a day. However, on this 8-mile walk with Louis, they filled "5 bags plus a few miscellaneous items like a tire and pump. We had to empty the wagon at a dumpster behind the Wildewood Springs office before continuing!"







Maureen began her year by taking a fast-walking class to help with the correct walking posture. I commented on her fitness (this might motivate some of us to join her) and guess what? She's lost 40 pounds picking up litter. 

As we waved goodbye, I was reminded of the least I could do to join her effort, "Hey, if all of us just pick up 3 pieces of litter a day, it would be a healthier Earth." I told her I would tell our Wildewood friends. 

I'm grateful to thank her by name when I see her walking.