Recycle clean and dry paper, cardboard, metal, plastic (#1 and #2), glass


I wonder if, like me, you are looking for ways to be helpful in your community. So, I'm learning more about recycling.

These signs are installed in the waste disposal areas (WW2A).

When I peeked into the recycle bins today, I mostly saw only items that can be recycled. Most of us are reading the sign! Here's a quick review.

Only recycle these items. All need to be CLEAN AND DRY. 

Paper - only junk mail, magazines, newspapers

Cardboard - only aluminum cans or tin cans 

Metal - only aluminum cans or tin cans 

Plastic - only plastic jugs and bottles (#1 & #2)

Glass - only glass bottles and jars

I also again carefully looked at the sign to read what NOT to recycle.

This information helped me and might be useful for you.

1. Video, Chasing Arrows, on YouTube

This 11-minute video shows how much plastic waste is "wish-cycling" and helps clarify what and how to recycle. I've looked into this and found that only plastics #1 & #2 have recycling value. There's no marketplace for #3 - #7, so most of this plastic waste is still sent to the landfill to be buried. 

The "chasing arrow"* is an unregulated symbol anyone can use. More info here.

2. Website, AMBR (Alliance of Mission-Based Recyclers)

AMBR is a nonprofit group working toward making recycling viable and verifiable. Here is one article about false solutions in plastic recycling. 

3. Podcast, Living on Earthweekly on Fridays.

The 7.14.23 episode focuses on recycling. 

Preventative things I'm doing.

1. Considering packaging materials when I shop.

2. Bringing my own bags: reducing my use of plastic bags.

3. Choosing eggs and drinks in paper containers. (Vital Eggs, for example. Eliminating styrofoam, plastic cups for events, such as SOLO.)

4. Using a refillable water bottle.

5. Sharing what I learn - hello neighbors and friends ; - )

*What does the chasing arrow symbol look like?