Bottlebrush tree, a wildlife magnet, blooms in April


This bottlebrush had just a few blooms last season, so I removed a few epiphytes (not parasitic) from this bottlebrush tree to give more light and strength to the tree. 

I climbed a tall ladder; when I did this, a yellow pine warbler landed on a branch and we just looked at each other. Insects make up most of its diet, so I think it hopped over from the large pine tree next door where it feasts on seeds.

(Oops! Before you try thinning epiphytes, send a note to the Board landscape team. Care of the trees outside our personal area is left to our landscape vendor.)

Now the bottlebrush blooms call hummingbirds! 

Bottlebrush is one of the top 18 plant attractors of hummingbirds. I have not seen a hummingbird on the bottlebrush in front of our unit, but I have spotted them on other bottlebrushes. I think it's just a matter of sitting still outside and looking up.

If you are lucky enough to have a bottlebrush nearby, you’ll see new birds and feel like it's abuzz with life. 

Bottlebrush tree is called a wildlife magnet. Birds, lizards, bees, and wasps are constantly coming and going. With all I’ve heard about bee colony collapse and bee shortage worldwide, I’m heartened by the buzz in this tree. They are pollinating our flowers and food. So, I’m grateful to help that in addition to being awed by the red blooms.