Black Skimmers courting, mating, scraping


There was a Black Skimmer flock of a hundred, maybe more, on Anna Maria Island. They were wonderfully and wildly courting. I saw some sand scraping (nest making activity, mostly done by males) so it looks like they are already laying eggs. 

As I understand it, they mate for life. So first, they find a partner. I saw a lot of preening and heard barking yips.

s


The male heads off to catch and give her a fish which she eats while they mate. Off he goes.


But, sometimes if there is no fish, he'll give her a twig or feather. (At least he tried for a fish.)



 Then they fly off together.


She lands, and he joins her. Literally.



 After, they fly and land on the beach. This happens. I imagine the lift is to help in the mating process.


And then, my heart melted as they spent time touching bills. That looks like forever to me.


Check back in a month. There will be baby skimmers.

Read more. Audubon says that Black Skimmers are climate endangered.

May 23, 2018