Wood Ducklings in the pond


I actually tripped getting my camera this morning.

We saw a female Wood Duck with four chicks swim by last evening. They were nibbling the plants along the pond edge. (Did you know they are vegetarian? They love clover.) It was too late to get photos, but I knew they'd be back. And they were. So this morning (June 8, 2018) I saw them sitting on the pump/filter float in the pond and didn't want to miss a chance to show you. 

But, there were only three. 


After hanging out, they swam to the other side of the pond. Papa wood duck was waiting and watching for them. (Betty P, if you're reading this, I think their nest is on the opposite side of the pond from your view.)



I can't wait until they start to practice flying. Their repeated attempts to flap across the water inspire me. Just think, one time they take flight.