Learning about and from Yellow Crowned Night Herons


I continue to visit the Yellow-Crowned Night Heron nests and read about this extraordinary bird. New chicks are literally popping up. I admit that when I upload my photos to choose ones to share with you, I laugh out loud.


They are so cute! 




Maybe you already know this, but I just learned that chicks can hatch a week apart. That means there are different aged birds in one nest. Which makes for some interesting behavior. 


I can't remember if I showed you what Mama YCNH looks like while listening to the chicks. (It's my current best reminder of what real listening looks like. Quiet while the teller tells.)




But sometimes enough is enough. Mama bird hops to the side branch for some preening and scratching.





This particular day, I saw Papa bird fly overhead and make one, only one, squawk. Without a quack in return, Mama bird lifted off like the Challenger as if it was a signal to come hunt for food for the young. Gone. Amazing, but I have a photo.





Well, do you know what that littlest yacker in the nest did when Mama ended the listening?

It climbed over to the older sibling. 

So here the younger (on the left) starts yak yak yakking. And it looks like things are going okay. But, look at that eye of the sibling. Something is not mama-patient in that gaze. 


Uh oh. I thought to myself, there's one way to get attention. Or perhaps, chick is excited that dinner is coming soon.






It's not just their nest where the chicks interact. (I'm observing four nests in the same area.)





At least someone is curious and not in every other chick's business.


And some are already branch walking. Soon they will fledge. At least the older ones.


June 8, 2018