Blue-headed Vireo (formerly called Solitary Vireo)

Blue-headed Vireo, March 13, 2021, about 6:30 AM.

When I heard the Yellow Crowned Night Herons about 4:30 this morning, I headed out early to find them. But the pines they frolicked in last evening were quiet. So I wandered around Springdale and Sherwood and heard birds in a canopy. I stood still and waited.

Then I saw several Titmice and a Blue-headed Vireo! (Identity confirmed by ABA, What's this Bird?) This is the first time I've seen a Blue-headed Vireo. Birders call it a lifer when they see a new bird. 

Blue-headed Vireos winter in Florida. Here is its range map from Cornell.



Cornell Lab describes the BHV as a small, chunky song bird distinguished by its white eye spectacles that are highlighted by its blue-grey head coloring. BHVs prefer insects and I feel lucky I could get these photographs as they chased down breakfast.


The Blue-headed Vireo formerly known as Solitary Vireo is divided into 3 groups, the other two being Cassin's Vireo and Plumbeous Vireo