Cedar Waxwings and a warbler chorus while waiting for Limpkins

A flock of Cedar Waxwings feasting on berries. 2.21.22, 8:15 AM.

A flurry of posts. I know. But look, Cedar Waxwings

Dreaming of Cedar Waxwings in your section of Wildewood? They like small fruits such as berries, so plant Florida native trees and bushes like Serviceberry, Winterberry, Cedar, and Hawthorne. Let's plant!

For the first 10 minutes, I didn't see one bird. So I sat down. I knew if I waited 20 minutes or so, the birds would get used to my presence and appear. Just after the waxwings, the pair of Limpkins I saw yesterday flew in. Birds are habitual, so if you see them once, try again at the same time the next day. 

I again saw a courting gesture.


But one of them seemed to say "not so fast."


Limpkin flew in my direction. (I'm making progress on in-flight photography.) 


Limpkin flew to a tree that would be perfect nesting site, and provide a good chance to document nesting.


The location.


There was a welcoming committee. First a female Red-winged Blackbird. I know, I know. Where is the red and where is the black? Females look nothing like their male partners.

Warblers, too. A Yellow-rumped (Myrtle) Warbler.

A Palm Warbler. Note the yellowish vent under the tail coverts.

A Pine Warbler.

A bit of encouragement. Sit outside and look up. You'll see these tiny birds flitting about in the canopy and hear their delighted chirps. I promise - you'll relax and realize that we are so fortunate to live here.