Stepping outside to look up


Good, beautiful morning, about 7:00 am, 4/9/23 (Easter)

I begin the day by stepping outside to look up. I see this sky. 

Often I walk and then sit down for at least 20 minutes. When I still and sit, I notice what's around me.

I heard someone say again, "There are no birds now." Maybe this was a comment about migration. The many different warblers that filled the oak behind our place have left. But, oh my goodness, there are birds. 

10 Wood Duck ducklings a few days ago. I saw them leave a natural area and hop into the pond. Maybe this was their first day. 

Saturday afternoon, 4/8/23 - there are 6 ducklings. A Little Blue Heron is in the foreground.


Female Downy Woodpecker, April 2023. Difference between Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers? HERE.


There are many ducks. Here is a Lesser Scaup, male.


Blue-winged Teal Duck, male and female (dabbling)

This (I think) Mallard female duck is going to get in trouble.

An Eagle flew overhead.


Susan Herman shared a photo of a soon-to-be Monarch chrysalis.


From the butterfly garden, I took a photo of a soon-to-be-born Monarch butterfly.


Behind Pat and Cathy's place, a Belted Kingfisher in the Southern Live Oak.




Cardinals are plentiful! A male portrait.


 A female looking for Betty, or its male partner.


Yeah. She's looking for him. A male Cardinal looking back at that female.


Tri-Colored Heron, breeding plumage. This photo shows its neck. That is a good identifying clue.


The TCH used its wings to hop along the shallow water to catch fish.


It caught one!


A Brown Thrasher. Not as good a photo as Barb would get, though you get the idea.


Three male Wood Ducks, big pond.


Behind our place, a pair of Great Blue Herons. One in the water spray mist.


The other a distance away. They kept an eye on each other.


Keeping an eye on us. This curious juvenile Raccoon came down far enough to peek out over the yellow orchid blooms into our back window. Happy spring morning little masked-guy.


Brown Anole often checks us out, too. After all, we share a neighborhood and world.


Enjoy this beautiful day! Take a chair outside and sit in the shade. After 15 minutes, the birds will get used to your presence, and if you're like me, you'll wonder why you don't spend more time in nature. This wonderful photo was taken by Terry.