Wood Duck chicks just after hatching - July brood


Sunday morning, 7.9.23 @ 8:30 am  
Wood Duck hen and 5 chicks (one hidden from view)

I woke early and sat outside on the screened porch. I'm at the end of a summer cold, and the heat and humidity were comforting. Perspectives change! Before the cold, being outdoors felt too hot, miserably hot.

I noticed how still and quiet it was at first, though in reflection, that feeling was there because I had not yet settled into being, noticing my breath and sitting with life as it was. Because a few minutes later, I noticed a stirring in the orange Ixoria.  Two Carolina Wrens flitted about! Maybe they'll build a nest.

I closed my eyes and heard: Pileated and Red-bellied woodpeckers, Fish Crows, Northern Mockingbird, Northern Cardinal and Grey Gnatcatcher chirps. A Tri-Colored Heron flew in. Noisily. With a guttural, nasal call. It sounds like this. 

When I opened my eyes, I looked across the pond to the Southern Live Oak. A Wood Duck hen was leading 5 chicks to the pond. I saw the hen and 5 chicks again today, Monday.