Owlets are out of the nest



What a surprise! I visited the owlets this weekend and they were out of the nest. They looked like adolescents clumsily hopping branch to branch. It felt like they were pretend-hunting. Looking at the field below, crouching. Like this.


I watched as the sunset and realized that they were waiting and looking for their parent. Sometimes the owlets looked up and over at each other.


Then I noticed that they were looking over the field at another pine tree. They were looking at their parent. 


I thought of Henry David Thoreau's words, "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." They see their dinner! Soon mama Great-Horned Owl will fly in with what looked like a plump meadow vole.


Owlet noticed, turned, and was ready for mama's gift. I was so awed to witness the event, I put the camera down and watched. 

NOTE: My Nikon P900 allows me to remain a protective distance away so that I do not interfere.