A thriving habitat and a little heartbreak


So the same day I noticed this female Cardinal and Carolina Wren while on a walking break from watching the new ducklings, I returned home and saw more.


In my last post, I wrote of spending a day watching a Mottled x Mallard Duck hybrid hen and six chicks. It was a glorious day. And then things fell apart. 


I’ve waited a few days to tell you. Hen and ducklings were wrapping up their day. They swam to the pond edge, climbed out, and gathered under her to get warm. See them? (Remember, they still need brooding to keep warm for a couple weeks.)



All was going well. 


Then mama, just like I imagine with COVID mamas living the challenge of isolating with kiddos, well, perhaps hen needed a teeny tiny break. Like can't I just pee alone for a minute? Mama flew off to another area of the pond leaving the bundle of six fluffy chicks not even a minute. I had my eye and camera on them marveling about their downy softness.

 

 But, another chick a bit older than they, a Red-shouldered Juvenile, also was watching. This one.

 

 

It happened so fast. 


I was taking pictures and between clicks, Hawk swooped swiftly and quietly, so quiet that I wondered if it was one of the Barred Owls I've heard early morning calling to each other.  


There were now only five. 


I watched the Hawk and chick leave and even dashed as long as I had breath after that hungry scoundrel. 


And then they were gone. 


I turned to see the five jump into the pond and swim out a short distance. There they remained like a circle of youthful instinct.



In less than a half-minute, mama flew in.



Shocked as I was to see this unfold, this next part feels more startling. 



As if nothing happened, and in the new moment, Mama and the five chicks circled around together and seconds later paddled to the edge of the pond because it was dusk and time to rest. 


AFTERWARD

A thought is that our neighborhood is a thriving habitat. 


Ducklings of any type can be eaten by diurnal raptors, crows, herons, owls, snapping turtles - all residents of our incredible habitat. Signs of health and nature's balance. 


Many ducks brood more than twice a year. 


Here are a Wood Duck hen and 2 ducklings I photographed recently.