August days, walking the beach


Juvenile Great Blue Heron, Longboat Key, FL 

The last few days have been windy. So I headed to the beach.

A pair of Willets walking the pier. 


Great Blue Heron, Paragliding Human, and Brown Pelican.


I've seen Blue Herons around the pond, too. Did you know that a source of food for them is vermin? So they're helping to balance our Wildewood ecosystem.

Tom and Jeanne Higbee recently took a photograph of a Great Blue Heron while at the beach. 


When the surf is rough, the lapping waves are foamy. A White Ibis.

Then, this! At first, I thought one Ghost Crab. No, two! I often see this semiterrestial crab running to hide when I walk the beach. Notice their elongated eyestalks? 


On the ride home, look! A flock of Cattle Egret at 53rd and El Conquistador Parkway. See why it has this name? Tropical herons, they forage at the feet of cattle or riding on its back looking for ticks.